Sunday, July 21, 2013

Why I Love Writing About Vampires, a guest post from Rachel Carrington, author of Vampire's Fury


We all have our different takes on vampires. Some of us still adhere to the beliefs that vampires should burst into flames in the sun, be repelled by garlic, and frightened by a cross like Spike and Angel from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.

Newer takes on vampires, Edward Cullen and the Twilight vamps, have them as being virtually indestructible. Even a stake to the heart won’t quite do it, but the sun makes them glitter like diamonds.

Oh, and let’s not forget Mick from the television show that only lasted one season, Moonlight. He couldn’t be killed by stakes, only paralyzed. And he could walk out in the sun, but he quickly became dehydrated.

Christine Feehan writes vampires as foul creatures who need to be destroyed while other authors portray them as sexy, tormented beings who are only looking for love.

There are myriads of readers who adamantly swear one type of vampire is the only way. Whether it’s the Buffyverse, the Twi-Hards, or whatever other groups exist, they want vampires to remain the way they’ve known them, possibly the way they’ve seen them first.

Now you know why I like writing about vampires. There is no one way to define them, and the challenge of creating the undead is something that never fails to excite me. Whether I’m giving him a new take on the old mythology or sticking with the tried and true, I prefer to inject a little something different into each one I write. Whether it’s a curse that made him that way or a vampire who undergoes an excruciatingly painful procedure to keep from killing humans, they all have something that set them apart from different vampires.

But a few things do remain the same. They are always sexy. Always handsome. And always out for blood.



About my newest release, Vampire’s Fury

Available now from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and All Romance Ebooks

He returns home to find a killer. Instead, he connects with a vampire whose heart is as lonely as his own. 

Devlin never expected to find love after 150 years, but Detective Joely Grayson slowly strips away the barriers around his heart. In the midst of a potential vampire rebellion, he discovers a woman whose been desperately trying to fit into the human world to which she no longer belongs. 

Joely's been struggling to live the life she used to have, but all that changes when someone tampers with the local blood bank supply. Her hunger overwhelms her, and the creature overtakes the human she's pretending to be. 

Saving Joely will help prevent a massacre of a small town, but it will also reveal the truth Devlin isn't ready to face. And it could rip away his only chance at the happiness that has been eluding him since he was changed.

About Me

I started writing years ago, and my first attempt was a contemporary romance that will never see the light of day. I think I may even have thrown it away by now. It was absolutely horrific as I knew nothing about well…anything to do with writing.
After that, I started writing fantasy romances about wizards and wizards, and once those took off, I segued to paranormal romances (hello, vampires and ghosts) and romantic suspense. I also write articles for various magazines, including The Writer’s Journal, Writer’s Magazine, Writer’s Weekly, Writing for Dollars, Absolute Write, and Funds for Writers.
I’m fortunate to make my home in historical Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city. Beautiful people. When I’m not writing, I love to read, create videos, keep Target in business, play visitor in my city, and drink lots of coffee.
You can find me all over the internet, but here are just a few of the places:
My website: www.dawnrachel.com
Twitter: @rcarrington2004
Facebook: rachelcarringtonwrites
Pinterest: rcarrington2004
Goodreads: rcarrington2004
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rachel-carrington/63/7b0/b6a

Wattpad: http://wattpad.com/RachelCarrington 

No comments: