Saturday, May 16, 2015

Reprise Review: The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back / Sariah Wilson

Reviewed by: ?wazithinkin

Genre: Contemporary Young Adult / Romance

Approximate word count: 50-55,000 words

Kindle US:
YES UK: YES Nook: NO Smashwords: NO Paper: YES
Click on a YES above to go to appropriate page in Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Smashwords store


Sariah Wilson lives in Utah and is a fervent believer in happily ever afters, which is why she writes romance. She grew up in Southern California and graduated with a degree in history from Brigham Young University.

For more, visit her website or her facebook page.


A contemporary view from the ugly stepsister set during her senior year of high school. Mattie Lowe is a rebellious teenager who feels like all the odds are stacked against her. This story is homage to the movies Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles.


This twisted fairy-tale is nothing like I expected and I was thoroughly delighted. Sariah Wilson has developed Matilda into the quintessential, slightly rebellious, teenager who feels like things will never work out for her. The story starts with a list of grievances that give us a feel for this misunderstood character and the people in her life. I had to giggle at her voice; it’s fresh, quirky, sarcastic, and witty.

Mattie is intelligent but insecure and I loved the way she decided to start making changes in her life. During her journey, her perspective changes to open her eyes to the realities surrounding her. This story has a nice pace and it kept me turning the pages late into the night. I became totally invested in Mattie finding her happily ever after, bless her heart, she did not believe she was worth it. There are a few valuable lessons to be learned from this story and therefore, I think this book would especially be enjoyed by preteens and young adults, although I fit into neither of those categories and I loved it.

Format/Typo Issues:

I found no significant errors.

Rating: ***** Five stars


Jackie Weger said...

Thank you! Fab review. I am headed to Amazon to buy this book.

No Perfect Destiny

?wazithinkin said...

Well thank you, Ms. Weger. I hope you enjoy the story and Ms. Wilson's voice as much as I did. Thanks for dropping in and commenting.