Sunday, June 30, 2013

Double Click / Lisa Becker


Reviewed by: BigAl

Genre: Chick-Lit

Approximate word count: 55-60,000 words

Availability    
Kindle  US: YES  UK: YES  Nook: NO  Smashwords: NO  Paper: YES
Click on a YES above to go to appropriate page in Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Smashwords store

Author:

“Lisa Becker had endured her share of hilarious and heinous cyber dates, many of which inspired Click: An Online Love Story. She is now happily married to a wonderful man she met online and lives in Manhattan Beach [California] with him and their two daughters.”

Description:

Double Click picks up the lives of the characters in Becker’s novel Click: An Online Love Story six months later.

“Are Renee and Ethan soul mates? Does Mark ever go on a date? Has Shelley run out of sexual conquests in Los Angeles? Will Ashley's judgmental nature sabotage her budding relationship? Through a marriage proposal, wedding, new baby and unexpected love twist, Double Click answers these questions and more.”

Appraisal:

I loved this sequel to Click: An Online Love Story almost as much as its predecessor. Much (probably most) of that difference probably goes to personal taste. I liked Renee’s continuing saga and, as in the first book, this is done as a series of emails between her and her closest friends. It also has significant story threads for each of those friends. Ashley, who I found the least likeable of the bunch, gets much more time in the spotlight and Cassidy, a love interest for Mark, inserts herself into the group. I found Cassidy almost as irritating as the characters did and while she provided plenty of ammunition for the others to get snarky, between her and Ashley I was shaking my head and cringing a lot more. And when I read this quote of Cassidy’s online dating profile, I had to admit to myself that I am a Grammar Nazi:

i’m looking for a smart, successful and energetic man to spend time with.   but, my job can be very demanding, so patients and understanding go a long way.   if you think your …

However, not liking this book as much as I did Click … doesn’t mean I didn’t like Double Click. I did. In spite of his taste in women, I still enjoyed Mark, and the story thread involving love ’em and leave ‘em Shelly made up for Cassidy. In fact, I had a hard time putting this book down, too, and finished it almost as quickly as Click.

FYI:

Limited adult language and situations.

Would advise reading  Click: An Online Love Story first. While it might be possible to read this as a standalone, I suspect you’d miss some of the back story that would add to the enjoyment and complete understanding of the characters if you did so.

Format/Typo Issues:

No significant issues.


Rating: ***** Five stars

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the awesome review. I'm so excited to see you enjoyed Double Click as well as Click. I'm so appreciative for the support.
Best, Lisa Becker